Explore the Shuswap
The Shuswap region of British Columbia home to four beautiful Canadian seasons, caters to active and healthy lifestyles and has an amazing outdoor playground. Those who take the time to stop inevitably fall in love with the quaint “Shuswap Charm” of it’s friendly residents and businesses and enjoy settling into the pace of our “Shuswap Time.” Nestled between Calgary and Vancouver, off of the Trans Canada Highway #1, it is a community that is often overlooked as people cruise by.
The Shuswap Trails are an amazing and expansive network of trails and parks to explore for a hike, bike, run, bird watching, snowshoe, cross-country ski, sledding, snowmobiling, ATV-ing and more. All four seasons have something to enjoy, with a variety of terrain for beginner to advanced adventurists! Explore the: Shuswap Trails
The Shuswap Parks maintain our many green spaces, in over 54 hectares of park land that includes beaches, developed natural and passive parks, horseshow and playing fields, lawn bowling, marinas, wharfs and walking trails. We love watching how the city and local community groups collaborate to continue to improve our parks and build new ones!
The Shuswap Lake is the center point of a large stream and lake network with approximately 526 streams and lakes interconnecting. There is plenty of terrain to explore for a variety of water adventures. At the first signs of spring or fall, explore smaller surrounding lakes with kayaks and canoes. In the heat of the summer, Shuswap Lake comes to life with houseboats and motorized watersports. Or if you prefer to keep your feet on the ground, enjoy the stunning lake views as you laze about on one of our many beaches.
You could live here too!
Let me help you find a home so you can start living the dream!
Explore Salmon Arm
Salmon Arm is conveniently located halfway between Calgary and Vancouver and sits on the Salmon Arm portion of Shuswap Lake. With a current population of approximately 18,000, Salmon Arm is the Shuswap region’s center for business and government, including the Courthouse and City Hall. Salmon Arm is one of the fastest growing communities in British Columbia, attracting new residents and businesses alike. Come explore it today!
Salmon Arm has a wide range of choices to inspire an active lifestyle, both indoors and out, for any age and stage of life. Want to join a team to meet new people? Or maybe you prefer solo excursions? Looking to be active with your family? There is something for everyone here. Sports & Fitness Salmon Arm is an active community with a wide range of organizations for tennis, hockey, ringette, dance, curling, soccer, baseball, volleyball, pickleball, rugby, skating, swimming, karate, boxing, yoga, dragon boating, paddle boating, fitness centres and more! Salmon Arm is also home to amazing recreation facilities:
- Salmon Arm Recreation Centre has a swimming pool, hot tub, shallow kiddie’s pool, diving boards, fitness rooms, gymnasium, squash and racquetball courts.
- The Shaw Centre hosts the Salmon Arm Silverbacks (our local Junior A Hockey team), minor hockey and ringette, tradeshows, and conventions. It as a spectator arena for 1500 people.
- Uptown, the Salmon Arm Curling Centre hosts a variety of recreation and competitive leagues and bonspiels and special events.
- The SASCU Indoor Memorial Sports Complex, originally the Memorial Arena for ice sports, was converted to an indoor playing field for soccer, football, rugby, lacrosse and other training activities
- The Little Mountain Sports Complex has The Field House, which is a great venue for smaller events, as it seats up to 60 people comfortably. It has a full kitchen for event caterings and even weddings. There are 3 sports fields with washroom facilities and locker rooms, a playground and is located next to Little Mountain Park hiking trails.
- The Salmon Arm Fall Fairgrounds host our annual Fall Fair, the Derby, Equestrian Shows, the Salmon Arm Roots and Blues Festival and more throughout the year.
Lake Life As spring and summer arrives, enjoy a swim, kayak, canoe, or paddleboard on our beautiful Shuswap Lake. You can also bring your boat for water adventures, like waterskiing and wakeboarding too! You can launch your boat from Downtown Salmon Arm, Canoe Beach (7min from downtown) or one of the many other boat launches in the Shuswap region.
Shuswap Trails & Parks There are many trails and parks to explore right in the city of Salmon Arm. Wander down the wharf and along Marine Peace Park with your family, meet a friend to stroll around McGuire Lake Park, take a run through Coyote Park, mountain bike in Park Hill, hike with your dog in Little Mountain or walk the beach in Canoe (to name a few). Then, not far past the city limits, drive up to Fly Hills to snowmobile/ATV or take a trip to Larch Hills to cross-country ski, hike, or bike. There is so much terrain to explore. Be sure to do some research before you go, so that you can be prepared with water, snacks, and a safety plan. Find online maps, trail guides and more info here: Shuswap Trails
In our community, arts, music, culture, and entertainment collide in a beautiful mosaic of opportunities.
- Go out for a night at the movies at The Salmar Grand or Classic Movie Theatre, a unique non-profit association that is a pillar in our community. They put 100% of their profits into theatre improvements and directly back into the community.
- At the Salmon Arm Arts Centre, visit one of the frequent art exhibitions.
- See a play at the Shuswap Theatre!
- Find hands-on workshops for painting, knitting, crafting, pottery and more!
- Attend the annual Roots & Blues Festival, which showcases an amazing lineup of international musicians at this family-friendly event.
- Find jazz, folk, rock, blues, and more live music, at both indoor and outdoor venues throughout the year.
- Enjoy wine tastings at our local wineries.
Let your tastebuds explore our many restaurants, cafes, and bistros.
Salmon Arm is part of School District 83 (North Okanagan-Shuswap) which has schools from Kindergarten through Highschool, including a new outdoor school. There are also various pre-schools, private schools and homeschooling options available. For more information click here.
For post-secondary education, the Salmon Arm Campus of the Okanagan College offers a wide range of academic, vocational, trades, apprenticeship and continuing education programs and courses. Education is important. I can help you and your family find the right home, in the right neighborhood, by the right school.
Forestry and agriculture remain an important and viable employment resource in the community, generating millions of dollars’ worth of business.
Tourism represents one of the fastest growing business sectors and the city is poised to be one of the premier convention locations in the interior.
Most retail establishments are located in the lively downtown area, with two malls and a Smart Centre. We also have a wide choice of restaurants, pubs, and family dining.
Here are some of the businesses
The Shuswap region of British Columbia has a large population of seniors. We have a four-season paradise with a great climate and stunning scenery that is perfect to enjoy retirement in! Here is some more information on senior resources and activities in our community.
Things to Do!
Find your passion, sport, hobby, or desire to try something new in one of our senior-friendly neighbouring communities!
- Hockey Lovers – A twin sheet arena offering “Old-Timers Hockey” or take in a Silverbacks Junior ‘A’ Hockey game or volunteer for one of our many minor hockey teams all at The Shaw Centre.
- Curlers – Our curling facility offers seniors curling league and bonspiels.
- Bowlers – Our local bowling lane offers senior leagues or join a seniors lawn bowling tournament.
- Golf Lovers – Choose from three 18-hole golf courses. All located within minutes of Salmon Arm.
- Love to Learn? – Okanagan College offers seniors computer courses and more.
- Fitness Fanatics – There are many fitness centres, yoga and pilates studios, personal trainers, and fitness programs through the recreation centres.
- Outdoorsy Folks – Check out the various clubs including hiking, mountain biking, the Lady Striders Walking Club, and Shuswap Paddling Club.
- Horseback Lovers – There are a number of horseback riding, stables, and clubs to enjoy.
- Live Theatre Fans – Runs all year long offering incredible entertainment – check out Shuswap Theatre!
- Slow Pitch – Join the over 50 league!
- Swimmers – Salmon Arm’s SASCU Recreation Centre features an indoor swimming pool and hot tub among other facilities and offers senior specific swim and fitness programs
- Crafters – Join a sewing and quilting club, artisan group or pottery lessons!
- Food Lovers – Enjoy a farmer’s market or one of the many pancake breakfasts.
- Join a Rotary Group.
- Check out the Branch 109 Seniors Group – offering many programs such as special dances, card playing and luncheons.
- Visit the Downtown Drop-in Centre – The centre offers many programs including pot-lucks, cards and pool table tournament.
- Visit Haney Heritage Village & Museum for High Tea.
Seniors Housing & Care Facilities
- Arbor House – Private Residential Care
- Bastion Place – Government Residential Care
- Hillside Village – Government Residential Care
- Pioneer Lodge – Government Residential Care
- Eagle Valley Haven – Private Residential Care
- Landers Lodge – Private Residential Care
- Lakeside Manor – Private Residential Care
- Mountain View Manor – Private Assisted Living
- Piccadilly Seniors Care – Government Assisted Living
- Piccadilly Terrace – Private Independent Living
- Shuswap Lions Manor – Government Independent Living
- Shuswap Lodge – Private Supported & Assisted Living
Need more info? Call the Seniors Resource Centre at 250-832-7000 or visit the Seniors Resource Centre HERE Health Services (see below) Let me help you find a home that you love, in a neighbourhood you love!
Salmon Arm has an excellent healthcare facility, with a state-of-the-art 45 bed acute care & surgical hospital with a new CT scan. We also have 3 fully equipped fire halls, an RCMP detachment, the Shuswap Search & Rescue, and the Salmon Arm Road Rescue. For medical services, we have many doctors and medical clinics. There is also a wide range of alternative and complimentary health care services. Our hospital also has the mammography unit available.