The Shuswap boasts 7 excellent sledding areas, with many of the mountains groomed to give you a smooth ride to the alpine. Play in the awesome fresh mounds of powder, and try the challenging climbs and bowls. Our hills are perfect for new sledders, touring families, fun riders and thrill seekers. Many of the areas offer day use chalets.
- Fly Hills – If you like wide open spaces and safe trails then Fly Hills Snowmobile and Recreation area is for you. Just 10 minutes west of downtown Salmon Arm, this large region encompasses approximately 50 square kilometers and offers panoramic views of Shuswap Lake and the Salmon River Valley. The area is well mapped and has been managed since the 1970’s by the Salmon Arm Snow Blazers Club. Equipped with cement loading ramps to make loading and unloading an easy task, a fire pit and outhouse for family friendly trail rides.
- Owl Head – This popular area is only minutes to downtown Sicamous and features a great chalet and varied riding terrain for everyone, from novice to the extreme sledder. Its high elevation ensures good riding into late spring.
- Blue Lake – Near Sicamous, this is a groomed trail which boasts ample meadow, wide open slopes for tree riding and a small training hill for beginner riders and families. While novice riders can stay on the training hill, family members with more experience can slip away to the more challenging areas.
- Queest Mountain This well established hill has a comfortable chalet and 35 square kilometres of country with deep powder and exciting hill climbs. Incredible views of the Eagle Valley and Shuswap and Mara Lakes. The elevation is over 2000 meters allowing for great sledding well into spring, excellent for intermediate riders.
- Crowfoot Mountain – This fantastic and relatively undiscovered sledding area is located along the North Shore of Shuswap Lake. Crowfoot offers terrain for intermediate to expert riders and great views of the Shuswap Lake. First time visitors will find a secure parking lot, staging area, 28 kilometers of marked Crowfoot Snowmobile Club groomed and ungroomed trails all the way to the top as well as three day-use chalets. For the best powder, plan to ride March and April.
- Spa Hills – Maintained by the Spa Lake Snowmobile Club, this expansive sledding area includes approximately 120 kilometres of marked snowmobile trails that are located in the Bolean, Arthur and Spa Lake areas. The trails run through avalanche-safe clear cuts, meadows and burned off areas that are great for boondocking and link with the Fly Hills snowmobiling area.
Skiing & Snowshoeing
- Larch Hills – 20 kilometers from Salmon Arm, is home to some of B.C’s finest ski and snowshoe trails. For cross-country skiers there are 125 kilometers of trails in the 1065 to 20 meter range, about 43 kilometers of which are trackset. There is no shortage of variety for the nordic ski enthusiast. Of course there are many snowshoe trails to explore too. Go to www.skilarchhills.ca to find out more about thetrails and the Larch Hills Nordic Ski Society.
- Many of the Shuswap Trails make excellent snowshoeing terrain through the winter season. Explore Shuswap Trails
- Revelstoke Mountain Resort, SunPeaks Resort & Silverstar Mountain Resort – though not technically in the Shuswap, these three premiere mountain resort destinations are less then two hours away for downhill ski and snowboarding and adventures. A perfect day trip with friends or family!